Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sharing the Adventure: Babywearing On a Cruise

It's International Babywearing Week!  This week we celebrate all of the awesome things babywearing does for us in our lives.  This year the theme is 'Share the Adventure.'  Join us for our activities this week and share the adventure with all of us!  Today, Raagen tells us about her adventure babywearing on a cruise!



When I thought about the cruise that my family was about to go on, I was a little overwhelmed at how to handle it with my three kids, ages 1, 3, and 5.  My youngest, M, wasn't walking yet, and my three-year-old, C, didn't have the strongest legs for long distances.  After talking to a few friends who had cruised without a stroller, my husband and I decided to ditch the stroller and wear our two youngest children.  My sister-in-law decided to do the same thing with her three-year-old.  

The hardest part in all of this was what to do with the backpack/diaper bag if my husband and I were both wearing kids.  It ended up not being too bad.  I actually wore it in front for a while without a problem.  (I have chronic pain that limits my ability to wear my kids on the front or hip  once they are over about 20 pounds so I rarely wear them in front unless I have to tandem wear or nurse my youngest.)


The trip was pretty hard on my three-year-old.  We had to get up at 3am to make our flight the first day, and it was hard to get naps in while on our trip without missing activities. C was able to nap on my back when she needed to.  I took a Kozy mei tai for her.  It's great because it could be folded into the backpack when she was ready to walk.
 

 


Overall, the trip ended up being fantastic.  We didn't have to wait for the elevators in order to debark, and we didn't have to worry about where to store the stroller when we weren't using it.  We were able to board tour buses easily without worrying about what to do with the stroller.  Babywearing allowed me to share this adventure of cruising with all three kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment